By Elizabeth Kahn, eHow Contributor
Psoriasis is a skin disease characterized by red or brown, scaly patches on the skin. This condition can be recurrent and can be brought on by stress and other factors, including illness, injury, excessive alcohol use or certain medications such as those used for high blood pressure or heart disease. There are some studies that point to fat intake and toxin buildup in the colon as a cause of this skin disorder. Fasting is a good way to rid the body of excess toxins and to boost the immune system to help the body fight disease.
Things You’ll Need
Raw fruits and vegetables
Fresh pure fruit juices
Green drinks (carrot juice, beet juice)
Steam distilled water
Recommended: Powdered fiber (psyllium, bran or flax seed)
Fish oil or flaxseed oil supplement
Fasting for Psoriasis
1. To prepare your body for fasting, eat only raw fruits and vegetables for two days prior to the fast. Take a fiber supplement every day before the fast.
2. Fast for five days.
3. Squeeze one fresh lemon into a cup of warm water and drink upon waking and going to sleep.
4. Drink 10 8-ounce glasses of steam distilled water per day.
5. Consume pure juices. Dilute all juices with water, mixing three parts water to one part juice. Green drinks made from green leafy vegetables and fresh juices such as apple, beet, cabbage, carrot, celery and grape are also recommended. Avoid citrus juices and tomato juice.
6. Drink up to 2 cups of herbal tea per day if desired.
7. Try a spirulina supplement, a piece of watermelon or applesauce to help with hunger.
8. After the fast, eat only raw foods for a minimum of two days and up to two weeks. Then maintain a diet of 50 percent raw foods, including plenty of vegetables and non-citrus fruits such as bananas apples, pears, grapes and berries. Take a powdered fiber supplement such as bran, psyllium or flax seed every day. Try taking a supplement with fish or flaxseed oil daily.
Tips & Warnings
Avoid red meat, fried foods, all other sources of saturated fat, citrus fruits, sugar, and processed foods including white flour. Try stress management techniques such as meditation. Stress can cause psoriasis, and it also lowers immunity. If this fast does not help heal the psoriasis wait at least 30 days, then try a 10 day fast, which will go deeper and repair more of the body’s systems, according to “Prescription for Nutritional
Consult your doctor before performing this or any fast.